Nowadays, no sound system can do without a good subwoofer. This device allows you to achieve the highest quality playback of sound files, as it significantly expands the range of sound waves emitted by the system. While ordinary speakers are used for reproduction in the main range heard by a person, the low-frequency subwoofer specializes in sounds located at the lower limit of audibility – 20-80 Hz.
Often users try to compare home subwoofers and car subwoofers when choosing a device. And there are differences.
An automobile subwoofer operates in the passenger compartment, the transfer function of which has a noticeable rise at frequencies below 50Hz. This, in turn, allows us to optimize the set of car audio parameters to minimize the volume of acoustic design. At home, there is no such rise on the bottoms. There is also a difference in design.
The home subwoofers are made according to the classical scheme – light diffuser / great flexibility (high sensitivity, low power, etc.). A car subwoofer has a completely different design – a heavy diffuser / rigid material, and as a result of small volumes, high power, and low sensitivity.
However, the principle of connecting speakers is no different.
In order for the system to function as it should, all its elements must be correctly connected to each other, and then connect the entire system to a sound source – a computer, TV or home theater.
The connection can be carried out by various means:
- The simplest wires with plugs with a diameter of 3.5 mm, which are usually found in systems 2.1. Such plugs are connected to the corresponding connectors on the computer sound card or on the subwoofer enclosure.
- RCA cables, divided into two wires that transmit signals from the left and right channels. At the ends of these wires are larger red and white plugs.
- Speaker cables with terminals at the ends – plus and minus, which either snap or screw into the corresponding inputs.
Most often, there is a direct connection of acoustic wires, which has its advantages:
- more reliable contact;
- more simple and convenient pulling of wires around the room;
- easy cable replacement in case of damage.
An acoustic cable usually consists of two wires. Each of these wires must be used to connect the speaker terminals. The connection according to color is required. Otherwise, the sound will be less transparent, sometimes less loud.
The rule of observing the same polarity (red to red, black to black) connects not only to the front (main) speakers but also to all the others (rear, side). Depending on the system, the terminals on the rear of the subwoofer are labeled according to the connected speaker.